Data is something which we used to store in a storage device. Depending upon what kind of data it is and how heavy the data is, selection of device is made. A company may opt for RAID device and an individual can solve the purpose only through a USB. There are several possible reasons for a data becoming corrupt. We will discuss this later in the article. Data corruption is one of the most common things (difficulty) we might face in day to day life. No sooner the computer was developed, data was developed and so the corruption of data as well.
What is data corruption?
Everyone must have heard of the word ‘data corruption’ or the data got corrupted. But how many of you have noted that what exactly does it mean? In simple words, data corruption is something in which the data stored in a storage device has lost its original pattern and has entered into a new set of pattern which in-turn is causing the data loss (may be).
Depending upon what type of corruption it is; further steps need to be taken to get it rectified and prevent the device from data loss eventually. One thing should be clearly borne in mind; the moment you come to know that the data has corrupted; immediately check the entire device and see if it can be sorted out in a simpler way. The reason for the same is that the older the corruption of data more difficult it is to be rectified.
The probable reasons for data corruption
Data corruption can be for any reason. Depending upon the type of storage, data remains intact or might get corrupted. Through experience and various scenarios, we have come up with some possible reasons that might have led to corruption. Some of them are listed below:
- The device might have become too old
- The device might have been mishandled
- Sudden loss of power
- Excessive wear and tear of the device
- Inadequate power supply to the device
The above mentioned are some of the points that we have come across while data corruption. The data may get corrupted and if identified early can lead to recovery soon, but this does not under any case mean that all your data can be recovered. The type of damage the device has faced is directly proportional to the data that can be retrieved. What to do then when you have found that the data is corrupted? Let us discuss them in detail.
First and the foremost thing one should do is to keep control of his nerves. The cooler the mind better is the output. Follow some of the initial steps thereon:
- Look into the Internet for what can be done for a data corruption, but do not rely on those remedies completely.
- Take sector picture of the drive/device that contains corrupted file. A variety of software is available on the Internet for the same.
- Use tools from the Internet only which has some image or picture capturing facilities.
- Check for if the device is working after some time. If no, set the drive aside and do not do any kind of experiment with it.
- If the device still does not work, call for the technician/professional for getting the data retrieved.
The most important thing to understand is that a backup of all data should be maintained periodically so that in an emergency, that back up can be used.