Today we’re going to tell you a new feature for all you admin out there that still have physical servers, we haven’t forgotten about you. Block-level backups provide better performance over file system backups if the file system has a large number of small files. It does this by reducing both the scan & backup times.
Also, when compared to file system incremental backups, block-level incremental backups run much faster and back up less data if the file system has very large files. That’s going to be a really welcome feature for our customers with large file servers which can have millions of small files which present challenges to file level backup. So can you tell us more about the Block-level backup process and how it works?
- That’s a very valid point, smaller files often had additional overhead in comparison to their files size, with block level backup with 11 million files, for example, backup time was reduced from 20 hours to fewer than 3.
- Block-level backup is a much faster method to back up data because only the extents that contain data are backed up, rather than the entire files.
- Block-level backups are performed using the native snap engines and you can also utilize any hardware snap engines supported by Intellisnap.
- Block-level backups integrate snapshot technology with efficient block storage mechanisms to speed up backups.
- Block level backups are also supported for Windows File System, UNIX/Linux File Systems, MySQL, Oracle Intellisnap & Postgre SQL.
For DB’s Block-level backups read data directly from the disk rather than from the database. The amount of data transferred is also greatly reduced.
So, How to get this setup?
So here’s our file server that we want to enable block level backup on. What we do is we go to the sub client, we go to the advanced options on there and what we need to do is select optimize for file system block level backup. Select this. This will now install a filter driver on the machine so we can choose to reboot now or reboot later. What we’re going to do now is press OK and install the driver.